Enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11, also known as DoH
So as you may or may not know, DNS over HTTPS is an extension to the DNS protocol that adds support for encrypted communication. It has been in development by the Internet Engineering Task Force since before Windows 8, but has never been enabled by default, due to some security concerns. In Windows 10, Microsoft has built a new feature that allows DNS over HTTPS, called DNS over HTTPS.
DNS over HTTPS, or DNSSec, is a technology that enables the secure transfer of DNS traffic over unsecured network connections. The Open DNS project has a great blog post detailing how to enable it for Windows 10, but for this article, I’ll focus on how to enable it in Windows 11.
While Microsoft has been pushing DNS over HTTPS (DoH) in Windows 10 for some time, the option was only available in the Microsoft Edge web browser. Now Microsoft is including this option in Windows 10’s Control Panel under the Network and Sharing section. This option is located in the Internet Options section under the Connections tab.
You can enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11 using the four methods described in this article. Microsoft has updated the Settings app, and this feature is now easy to configure with just a few clicks.
DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) is a modern security protocol for the Internet. The idea is to protect user privacy and security by encrypting DNS data sent between client and server devices. This eliminates man-in-the-middle attacks because DoH uses the HTTPS protocol. This requires a DoH supported server to resolve encrypted DNS requests from users.
This article shows you the different ways to enable the DoH feature in Windows 11.
Enabling DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11 (DoH)
- Open the Settings application by pressing Win + I.
- Open the Network and Internet page.
- Click the Properties button on the right.
- On the next page, in the DNS Server Mapping section, click the Change button.
- Select Manual from the drop-down list at the top of the page.
- Specify the addresses of the DNS servers supported by the DoH using the reference table below.
- From the drop-down menus, select Preferred DNS Encryption and Alternate DNS Encryption only (DNS over HTTPS).
- If your port supports IPv6, repeat the previous steps to configure it.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
You’re done. To verify that DoH is actually working on your device, scroll down to the Network and Internet > Properties page. Encrypted should be displayed next to the value of the DNS address.
You can use the following public DNS servers over HTTPS.
List of public DNS servers supporting DoH
|Server owner||IPv4 addresses||IPv6 addresses|
Another method is to add DoH to the registry. Use it if the above method does not work for some reason or if the Settings application does not work in your session.
Enable DNS over HTTPS in the registry
- Press Win + R, type regedit in the output box, then press Enter.
- In the registry editor, navigate to the following path. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesDnscacheParameters.
- Change or create a new 32-bit DWORD value of EnableAutoDoh on the right.
- Set the value to 2.
- Restart Windows 11.
Enables DNS over HTTPS so that Windows will send and receive DNS traffic on secure, encrypted servers. However, you must specify the correct DNS server address. Again, use one of the servers in the table above.
Here’s how to change the DNS server address in Windows 11 without using the Settings application.
Change server address after activating DoH
- Press Win + R and type control in the run window, then press Enter. The classic Control Panel application opens.
- Go to Control Panel – Network and Internet Control Center for networking and sharing.
- On the right side, click Edit Adapter Properties.
- The Network Connections dialog box opens. Double-click on the network connection.
- In the next window, click Properties.
- In the adapter properties, select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- On the General tab, select Use the following DNS server addresses:. Enter the address of the DNS server that supports DoH.
- If your network configuration includes IPv6, specify IPv6 Server for Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Please support us.
Winaero is really counting on your support. You can help the site continue to provide you with interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
By Sergey Tkachenko on 30. June 2021 in Windows 11.
About Sergei Tkachenko
Sergey Tkachenko is a Russian software developer who founded Winaero in 2011. In this blog Sergey writes about everything related to Microsoft, Windows and popular software. Follow him on Telegram, Twitter and YouTube.If you’re a Windows user, you may have noticed a certain change a few months back. DoH (DNS over HTTPS) was introduced with the Windows 10 Fall Creators update, and enabled by default for both Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 operating systems. It’s been embraced by many of the best VPN services to improve online privacy and security. To enable DoH in Windows, you’ll need to install the Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview, which has been available since January 2017. It’s a bit tricky to say the least, but if you follow the steps below, you can enable DoH in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.. Read more about test dns over https and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is DoH enabled?
The DoH protocol is enabled by default in Chrome and Opera. It is not enabled by default in Firefox. How do I enable DoH? You can enable DoH in Firefox by following these steps: Open Firefox and click on the menu button ( ) in the top-right corner. ) in the top-right corner. Click on Options . . Click on the Network tab. tab. Scroll down to “Use a proxy server for your LAN.” Check the box next to “Use a proxy server for your LAN.” Click OK to save the settings. to save the settings. Restart Firefox. How do I use DoH? To use DoH, you must first create a DoH-enabled proxy. To do this, follow these steps: Open Firefox and click on the menu button ( ) in the top-right corner. Click on the Settings button next to “Use a proxy server for your LAN.” button next to “Use a proxy server for your LAN.” Click on the Add a proxy radio button. radio button. Enter the hostname or IP address of your DoH-
What is enable DNS over https?
Enable DNS over HTTPS is a protocol that allows DNS queries to be made over HTTPS. It is a secure and encrypted alternative to DNS over HTTP.
What is a DoH server?
A DoH server is a server that implements the DoH protocol.
enable dns over tls windows 10windows 10 doh clientedge dns over httpswindows dns over https clienttest dns over httpspowershell dns over https,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,enable dns over tls windows 10,windows 10 doh client,edge dns over https,windows dns over https client,test dns over https,powershell dns over https,windows doh support,google dns over https